Farm Credit Hosts FFA Ag Mechanics Contest at Sunbelt Expo
Farm Credit Associations of Georgia and Florida Announce Sunbelt Expo FFA Ag Mechanics Winners
Students from FFA chapters across the state of Georgia had the opportunity to enter and exhibit their wood and metal projects at the Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moultrie, Georgia during the week of October 17-19. The impressive projects are built by middle and high school FFA members and are judged based on quality of work, precision, attention to detail, and difficulty.
The Farm Credit Associations of Georgia and Florida began hosting the contest at the Farm Credit building at the Sunbelt Ag Expo in 2017. Since then, the contest has doubled in size, with close to 85 projects in attendance at the 2023 Sunbelt Expo. The goal of Farm Credit is to use their facility at the Expo to offer an opportunity to students to compete and showcase their work.
The creativity and skill of students is remarkable, and each year Expo attendees enjoy coming by to see the projects on display. No two projects are ever the same – fire pits, impossible chairs, tables, benches, instruments, gun racks, playground sets, and more!
Projects are divided into four categories: Large Wood, Large Metal, Small Wood, and Small Metal. The Grand Champion and Reserve Champion projects are featured with their winning ribbon throughout the Expo, and students are awarded a cash prize. The FFA Chapter that earns the most points through winning projects and number of projects entered is also awarded a plaque and a cash prize.
A recent addition to the contest that has gained popularity to Expo-goers is the People’s Choice Award. Anyone walking through the exhibit can submit their vote for their favorite project.
The 2023 FFA Ag Mechanics Contest Winners are:
- Large Wood Grand Champion - Gregory Midura, Crisp Co. High FFA – Bench/Table
- Large Wood Reserve Champion – Robbie Bartlett, Rutland High FFA – Live Edge Bench
- Large Metal Grand Champion – Russell Dollar, Newton College & Career Academy FFA – Impossible Chair
- Large Metal Reserve Champion – Will Collins, Cairo High School FFA – Firepit/Grill
- Small Wood Grand Champion – Imanol Pizana, Rutland High FFA – Chess Board
- Small Wood Reserve Champion – Bryson Rouse, Eighth Street Middle FFA – Stove top Cover
- Small Metal Grand Champion – Jesse Holder, Newton College & Career Academy FFA - Karambit
- Small Metal Reserve Champion – Luke Rosser, Newton College & Career Academy FFA – Fire Pit
- People’s Choice Award - Gregory Midura, Crisp Co. High FFA – Bench/Table (Picture above)
- Grand Champion Chapter – Newton College and Career Academy (Not Pictured)
Congratulations to each of the project winners! For more information about the FFA Ag Mechanics Contest at the Sunbelt Expo, contact Heather Brannen at Heather.Brannen@AgSouthFC.com or 912-764-9091.